Rugby Artists and Makers 2nd exhibition will open 2nd-14th April 2022. Exhibitor bookings are now closed.
Rugby Artists and Makers Pop Up will open on 4th December 2021 (Thurs – Sun, 10-4) in Rugby Central, with a gallery, demonstrators, and stands manned by some of our artists and makers. Keep an eye on our Instagram account for the latest news. Our thanks to Rugby Borough Council for making this possible.
Warwickshire Open Studios held a 21st birthday exhibition of Rugby Artists, Designers and Makers in Floor One gallery from 18th September to 1st October 2021 involving 40 artists.
Warwickshire Open Studios Summer Art Weeks took place 19th June – 4th July 2021 and it was great to have it back. Over 40 artists took place in the Rugby area. See the WOS website for all the details.
Rugby Artists and Makers Network First Exhibition, 2021
See our web page for more information.
Exhibitions are now open again and Coventry City of Culture has launched!
- Coventry 2021
- Rugby Art Gallery and Museum (You can also sign up to their newsletter on their website.)
- Herbert (some booking required)
- Nuneaton Art Gallery (Currently exhibiting artists and craftspeople from the region and, until 5th June, The Association of Leicester artists.)
Warwickshire Open Studios Summer Art Weeks (19th June – 4th July) is only weeks away. Over 40 artists/makers across the Rugby area are grouped in a map trail this year and you’ll see lots of promotion kindly hosted at RAGM, St Andrews church and Caldecott Park. The website is live so you can start planning your visits now. You can support your local artists by spreading the word – tell your friends and share social media posts and events.
Create in Nature with John Noble and local illustrator Jessica Hartshorn: 6 week course at Cock Robin Wood, 9th June – 14th July, aimed at anyone looking to develop creative and nature inspired outdoor coping strategies. Registration required.
The Original Reenactors Market (TORM) on 12th & 13th June 2021 at Sports Connexion, Ryton on Dunsmore, CV8 3FL, looks to be an opportunity to see/buy a wide range of historical crafts. Tickets available online.
The Heart of the Stitch summer programme is out, with meetings on 16th June, 21st July, 18th August. Contact email@example.com to join.
Art in the Park, Leamington Spa, 7th & 8th August. Several of Rugby’s artists and makers will be taking part.
Events involving local creatives
- Deb Jones Willow will be at Holdenby Home & Garden Fair, Holdenby House 29th, 30th & 31st May 2021, 10am – 5pm. Tickets online.
- Sarais Crawshaw is involved in The Wildlife Art Society’s Annual Exhibition at Nature in Art, Gloucester, 10-5 28th May – 6th June.
- Sarais is also in the online World of Cats exhibition until 14th June.
- Fern Floating Fine Art will be trading at Hillmorton Locks 15th – 17th June
- Dolittle Glass: Burton Hastings Flower Festival with Art Exhibition 10:30-4:30 on 26 & 27th June.
- Rugby Artists and Makers Network exhibition, Floor One gallery, Rugby Art Gallery and Museum, 26th June – 8th July
Festival of Culture and Festival on the Close: Although these events won’t go ahead in their usual form this year, the Art Trail will go ahead with RAGM organising 20 venues to host artists across the town centre through the summer and Rugby School is going ahead with an in-house festival for its students, which some of our local creatives will be involved in: Chris Pegler and Nicholas Simon Tailoring. Recruitment for a new manager for Macready Theatre (applications close 30th May, artsjobs.org.uk) indicates that the Festival on the Close will run in future.
Town Centre/park commission opportunity: RAGM have been working with Creative Giants and Warwickshire County Council plan to create a space at a site in our town centre or park. More information on this is now available, click HERE to find out about the opportunity and HERE to complete the survey to guide the project. Tell your friends! (Deadline for applications is midnight on 6th June.)
Belgrade Theatre artist commission to recognise the theatre’s financial supporters. (Deadline for applications 31st May.)
Coventry Lower Precinct are looking for a local sculptor to work with them and a local school on a sustainability arts project this September.
WCC funding for local groups to support mental health and wellbeing.
News from Rugby Artists and Makers
- The Instagram account is still going strong, and the website is gradually being improved. (Find link icons at the bottom of this email)
- Links have been forged with Transition Town Rugby “focused on the idea of providing a sustainable future for the town we call home”. TTR have a number of working groups including Community & Events, and Health & Wellbeing, which might be of interest.
- We have a representative (Jenny) on a new Schools Art Network group.
News from Rugby Artists and Makers Network*
- Plans are urgently underway for a Rugby Artists and Makers Network exhibition as listed above, supported by RAGM’s Arts Development Officer.
- The Network has the possibility of a Rugby Central unit over the summer (subject to funding).
- The Rugby Artists and Makers Network Facebook group has launched and made a great start, with useful ideas and discussion.
- The Network has plans to kick off a pilot project to connect local businesses and local artists/makers, and also plans for business focused support within the Network.
*The Network group is for working artists and makers in the Rugby area who wish to be active in organising events, participating in working groups, and promoting creative endeavours in Rugby.